Scott,

... man this is excellent.  I've been struggling with swapping out J2's
security for days upon days.  Being that the docs on security are somewhat
sparse didn't help.  I didn't want to even attempt to implement JAAS.
Taking a look at you attached code cleared a few things up.  If I reverse
engineer your example for my custom needs and reconfigure the files in
"WEB-INF/assembly" to use this class as the default security valve ... other
than breaking PAM application ... is there anything else that has to be
"reimplemented" to get a custom authentication & authorization valve
functional in J2?

- Frank