I would like set the left, or top, navigation bar based on the current
pane displayed in the content window. I have seen the way to set the
navigation bars based on Login status, but I will have more then 2 set
of navigation bars.

Example:
  When displaying customer information, the left navigation bar will
  contain links to "Update user profile", "Current orders", ...

  When displaying an item, the left navigation bar will contain links
  to "Item Search", "Review selected items", ...

Related question:
  Can the navigation bar know anything about the content window, i.e.
  name of the PSML file, selected pane in a card tab layout, ...?

Paul Spencer