At 14:23 02/08/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Our portal project MUST roll out in November. In some ways that seems like
>time but it took me a sometime learn Jetspeed, and I have looked at the new
>version, buttheir is no documentation whatso ever. I dont understand Home.vm
>cause it has only 2 lines of code, I dont know how to make my other pages
>that would be very similiar to Home.vm. At least I knew how to in this
>current version and hoe to make links to them. I dont understand the
>$screen_placeholder and where it is coming from besides the velocity jar
>file, and...
>
>It's been a fustrating ride but I dont know if I could do it over again to
>learn the current version even though their are some similarities.
>
>Can vm pages connect to databases? There are just too many questions out
>there for me.

Anthony,

I think you should not mix two different concepts:

the one is velocity, which is tool to dynamically generate text. You are
using templates (.vm files) that are processed by velocity to produce some
output (in your case HTML). You can pass context data to these pages. If
you want to "connect your .vm files to the db", you must: write some code
connecting to the db, have this code put some objects with the query data
in the velocity Context, and have a .vm file use this objects in your template.

another concept is jetspeed: jetspeed is a portal framework, based upon a
markup language: psml: with psml, you define which portlets shows up on
which page, with which layout and properties.
Some portlets are static, some others are dynamic. The dynamic ones may use
a template language, like jsp or velocity, or servlets, etc.

If you want good configuration info, I suggest you read the tutorial (
check previous postings in the mailing list)

If I can be of any help...

Stan.

Stanislas Pinte
Computer Consultant