Frans,
local-portlets.xreg should be used instead of portlet.xreg.  This is
because portlets.xreg is overwritten during installation.  Jetspeed will
look for local-portlets.xreg.  I always keep a copy of
local-portlets.xreg outside of the Jetspeed tree and copy the file back
after expanding the WAR file of the latest CVS.

I am working on a "Getting started guide" for Jetspeed.

Paul Spencer