We had this same problem but our setup was a little different.
We were serving all our documents from Apache web server and
connecting to Jetspeed on Tomcat through mod_jk on a Linux server.

Our problem was actually that the mime type file entry for Excel
did not have any extensions. So it was more of an Apache configuration
problem instead of a Jetspeed issue. I.E. in /etc/mime.types the
entry for Excel was "application/vnd.ms-excel" and we needed to
change it to "application/vnd.ms-excel    xls".

You do not say what Web Server you are using or if you are just
using Tomcat's web server.  If you are using Apache, look in
your httpd.conf configuration file for the TypesConfig entry.
This should tell you where your mime.types file lives and you
can check the entry for Excel.

We also had problems with the mime configuration of some
Netscape 4.7x browsers for Excel but you should not have any
of those problems with IE.

Don't know if this will help you out or not. It does sound like
it is a mime type issue somewhere. Good luck.

-- Steve Davis