Another way to reproduce this bug follows below:

Starting with the default Jetspeed setup (just for reference)
Log in as Turbine
Customize the Home tab
Remove all of the portlets
Go to add portlets and add several
Click the Save button
Switch the layout to Single Column
Try to remove a portlet

Horrible Exception: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException:
java.lang.NumberFormatException: null
        at
org.apache.jetspeed.modules.actions.controllers.RowColumnControllerAction.doDelete(RowColumnControllerAction.java:337)