We recently upgraded from A1 to A2 and it went well.

Initially we checked out the A1 source from the Jakarta CVS tree and built it.
When we built it we also generated the jetspeed.war. We un-packed
the jetspeed.war and put it in our CVS tree. We also created a
jetspeed.jar file that contained all of the Jetspeed classes and removed
the existing class files from the WAR.

We made lots of modifications:
Created new portlets, templates, screen etc.
Modified existing templates.

When it came time to upgrade we checked out the new version A2 from the
CVS tree and built it and generated a  new jetspeed.war. Same as above.

Next we branched our current CVS tree of version A1 with all of our changes.

We extracted the A2 version of our WAR file over top
of the BRANCHED version of our existing portal site.

Using WinCVS, we were able to go directory by directory and see
what files had changed  and then we ran a diff on those files
comparing the new with the old. The whole process took about two hours.

We did this a couple of times and have the process down.

If you have any other question shoot me an email

r,
Hugh