Then you may need to use the portlet factory service.

org.apache.jetspeed.services.PortletFactory

I'm curious, why do you need to invoke your portlet's method anywhere but within the
portlet itself, it's template or within it's associated action?

If the logic inside your portlet needs to be used in other places than the ones I
mentioned above, you may want to look into breaking that logic out into another class.
 Your logic might be best served from a pull tool or a service.

Pull tools:
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine-2/pullmodel.html

Service Framework:
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine-2/services.html