We have upgraded twice.  This is what we do:

- Create a baseline version of the new Jetspeed version and load it into
CVS. For example Jetspeed_1.3A2.  We build the WAR file ourselves.  The WAR
decompressed is what we put into CVS.

- Check that out. Configure it to point to your existing database. Fire it
up and  make sure it works.

- We have the existing version of our project based on Jetspeed_1.3A1
version in CVS. This is the version we have modified since the beginning of
the project.  This has been in CVS for a couple of months.

- Check out the latest version the existin WAR file.

- We take the old version of our site and copy it over the new version of
Jetspeed.  Then we use WinCVS to view all the files and see what has
changed.  All the changed files are flagged with red.  We use ExamDiff to
view the differences in the flagged files.

Here are some things you can do to make migration easier:
-  We put all of our Actions in our own package.
-  All of our templates are in their own directories.
- We create our properties files and include them in TR.props
- We create our own .xreg files for our portlets.

- Our portal consists of more than 20 custom portlets, 4 different
databases,  a new login action, new Torque classes, 3 scheduled jobs, lots
of cached objects, 2 new pull tools, a search portlet based on Lucene which
are working into service.  We have also created portlets for time and
expenses, global Torque object maintenance, integration with Slide, and we
have created a new Security service.

r,
Hugh