Thanks for the reply, Raphael. I'll try over-riding those methods -
buildNormalContent(),
buildCustomizeContent()  and buildMaximizedContent - and see what happens.
Btw, may I ask why you say that one should probably use the VelocityPortlet
as a basis for our own custom portlets when starting with Jetspeed ? Is it
because it seems to be the most well-documented, or is there something
about it that we should try to emulate ? Just curious.
Also I notice that the VelocityPortlet actually interacts with other classes
in to /src/java/org/apache/jetspeed/portal/controls and
/src/java/org/apache/jetspeed/modules/actions.  I was under the impression
that a portlet just needs to be one class. Do I need to know all the stuff
under /controls and /modules too ?
Sorry for the questions. Am currently wading through all
the src package and find myself in that usual going-round-circles-aimlessly
stage of learning a new technology. Hopefully the light will appear soon.

Stephen.

 If you use the VelocityPortlet as a basis for your portlet (which you
probably
should if you start with Jetspeed), you notice that the default Action
associated with the Portlet (VelocityPortletAction) has 3 default calls:

buildNormalContent() -> standard data to be used in "regular" mode

buildCustomizeContent() -> data to be used when the portlet wants to
implement its
own attributes customizer screen

buildMaximizedContent() -> invoked when the portlet is in "meximized" mode.

By default buildMaximizedContent() delegates everything to
buildNormalContent()
but you can overload it to add more content in maximized mode.

Most of the default example portlets do not use this feature currently.

--
Raphaël Luta - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/