On Wednesday, November 19, 2003, at 11:41 AM, Gerry Reno wrote:

  Tomcat 5.0.14:
  I removed the following jars from shared/lib and restarted:
pluto-0.1-dev-unreleased.jar
portlet-api.jar

Pluto no longer runs.  Jetspeed still gets the following double
initialization error:

INFO: Jetspeed Starting Initialization...
Nov 19, 2003 2:29:51 PM org.apache.jetspeed.engine.JetspeedServlet init
INFO: Double initialization of Jetspeed was attempted!
Nov 19, 2003 2:29:51 PM org.apache.jetspeed.engine.JetspeedServlet init
INFO: Double initialization of Jetspeed was attempted!
Nov 19, 2003 2:29:51 PM
org.apache.jetspeed.request.RequestContextFactory getInstance
SEVERE: RequestContextFactory: Failed to create a Class object for
RequestContext: java.lang.NullPointerException: The engine is null,
have you called createEgine() yet?
java.lang.NullPointerException: The engine is null, have you called
createEgine() yet?

Well I've been trying to reproduce this under Tomcat 5 and Catalina.
I'll be damned but it works for me without error :(
Im not sure whats different in my environment here from yours
suggest looking at the log files and seeing if anything is failing up top