I think the free download, accompanying document, method of
installation, seeing the first screen
is enough to explore further in jetspeed. Generally books STOP there,
(first 300 pages)
if one really want to learn/contribute then SRC (downloadable) is the
best.
Additional knowledge of
a) MYSQL (or any database) ( 10 page)
b) TOMCAT (or any webserver) (10 page)
c) JDK (or 1.4+)  'caution: deprecation' (10 page)
d) Frontpage (or equivalent) for html/jsp  (10 page)
e) Operating System (Linux, windows, etc) (10 page)
f) ant (3 pages)
g) SOAP (2 pages)
h) jportal (com.bluesunrise.*)
(http://www.bluesunrise.com/jetspeed-docs/PortletHowTo.htm)
(may be some one can complete the list  ! to know others especially the
beginners... what is missing)

TurbineResources.properties (3 pages)
Torque.properties (2 pages)
Portlets (5 pages) pl. see the above link (my wish: Link should not DIE
at all)
 ....... for "hello world portlet "

with the above information I think 75% book is complete
I would like to read such a book .. (some one can invest on this) with a
price $$$ TAG

It is my personal opinion... pl. ignore if something wrong...

--
M. Karthikeyan, Ph.D., Scientist