Ahhhhh... much appreciated.  Now it is starting to make sense.  Some of the variable
lengths had to be explicitely stated.

The script now works in creating the tables:
+--------------------------+
| Tables_in_todolist       |
+--------------------------+
| portal_todolist          |
| portal_todolist_category |
| portal_todolist_group    |
| portal_todolist_user     |
+--------------------------+

Now I have an empty database called "todolist" in the mySQL directory with the above
tables.

I restarted Tomcat and tried the portlet.  Nothing happens.

THE BIG QUESTION: How does this portlet know to use the "todolist" database in mySQL?

If I can answer the above question I think I will solve this.

There is a todolist.xreg configuration file which looks like the following.  No
mention of the database used here -- only the templates.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<registry>
    <portlet-entry name="ToDoListPortlet" hidden="false" type="ref"
        parent="Velocity" application="false">
            <title>ToDo List - KSC Portal</title>
            <description>Actions - To Do List - KSC Web Portal</description>
        <parameter name="template" value="todolist/main" hidden="true"/>
        <parameter name="action"
value="com.cone.actions.portlets.todolist.ToDoListPortlet" hidden="true"/>
        <parameter name="adminRole" value="admin" hidden="true"/>
        <parameter name="TEMPLATE_INSERT" value="todolist/insert" hidden="true"/>
        <parameter name="TEMPLATE_MODIFY" value="todolist/modify" hidden="true"/>
        <parameter name="TEMPLATE_DELETE" value="todolist/delete" hidden="true"/>
        <parameter name="TEMPLATE_MODIFY_CATEGORY" value="todolist/modify-category"
hidden="true"/>
        <parameter name="TEMPLATE_INSERT_CATEGORY" value="todolist/insert-category"
hidden="true"/>
        <parameter name="TEMPLATE_DELETE_CATEGORY" value="todolist/delete-category"
hidden="true"/>
        <parameter name="TEMPLATE_SHOW_ELEMENT" value="todolist/show-element"
hidden="true"/>
        <parameter name="TEMPLATE_LIST_CATEGORY" value="todolist/list-categories"
hidden="true"/>
        <media-type ref="html"/>
          <category group="Jetspeed">application</category>
    </portlet-entry>
</registry>

Thanks for any and all help.

Michael Dalton