This is probably not a jetspeed question, although jetspeed is the only
thing affected I am not using jsvc to start Tomcat 5.0.

I am using Tomcat 5.0.24 and Jetspeed 1.4 compiled from FreeBSD ports
on FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE. The tomcat port sets up 'tomcat50ctl' to
start/stop tomcat instead of jsvc. It just occured to me that since
jsvc is defining the endorsed directory during tomcat startup, my
not having jsvc might explain why copying xalan.jar to
${CATALINA_HOME}/common/endorsed doesn't work for me.

Is there another way to set this variable? jsvc is not supported out
of the box on my platform and though I managed to compile it, it doesn't
seem to work. I created a ${JAVA_HOME}/lib/endorsed directory and placed
xalan.jar there also, without success.

-Will

Will Saxon
Systems Programmer - Network Services
Department of Housing and Residence Education
University of Florida
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: (352) 392-2171 x10148