Hi Oscar,

Note: This answer does not solve your problem, it only confirms it. Read
on if you are interested.

We are using Jetspeed 1.6-dev and we struggle with the same problem
(Velocity portlets in our case). The idea was to have multiple portlets on
the page share information stored in rundata. The BuildNormalContext()
method builds the context based entirely on data stored in rundata. We use
a system to store data in the rundata based on portlet id / portlet group
(parameter) and global for all.
We then write action handlers that performs all the logic and updates the
rundata.

Of course this relies on the fact that the action event is executed BEFORE
the buildNormaContext() methods are executed.

Specifying the action for a specific portlet like this:
<form action="$jslink.getPortletById($portlet.ID)" name="RundataTest"
method="GET">
or this:
<form
action="$jslink.getAction("portlets.test.general.Rundata_TestAction",
$portlet)" name="RundataTest" method="GET">

executes the action specifically for that particular portlet. Exactly what
we wanted.

But, then we noticed that the some of the portlets displayed old data!
The pattern for the problem was top->bottom->left->right as you describe.

Lets say we have two portlets A & B (AE=Action Event,
BNC=BuildNormalContext).
1. Clicking on portlet A executes: AE for A -> BNC for A -> BNC for B
(Perfect!).
2. Clicking on portlet B executes: BNC for A -> AE for B -> BNC for B
(Disaster!)

In case 2 portlet A is diplayed using old values from the rundata object.
Oh dear...

The only answer I have received on this problem is that in JSR168
(Jetspeed-2 implements this) the action event should always be executed
before the portlets are rendered in an undefined order.
Very cute, but migrating to Jetspeed-2 is not an option for the moment.

It would be nice to get an opinion from an experienced Jetspeed developer
on how much work it would be to modifiy Jetspeed-1 to behave in this way
to.
Right now we have to be really careful when planning the actions/flow in
the portal and this is quite a limitation for the moment.

Kind regards,
Bjorn Vidar Remme

"Oscar Ruiz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
05.08.2004 13:33