Hi François,

I have a sneaky suspicion that the JDBC datasource is not being setup in tomcat. Make sure the there is a jetspeed.xml file in the jakarta-tomcat-5.0.27/conf/Catalina/localhost directory. If there isn't, that probably means that you do not have the correct Tomcat version flagged in your build.properties. I run a very similar environment to yours (not on jdk 1.5 yet though), so here is a snippet of what I have:

org.apache.jetspeed.server.home=/home/scott/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.27
org.apache.jetspeed.catalina.version.major=5
org.apache.jetspeed.server.shared =${org.apache.jetspeed.server.home}/shared/lib
org.apache.jetspeed.deploy.war.dir=${org.apache.jetspeed.server.home}/webapps
org.apache.jetspeed.services.autodeployment.user = j2deployer
org.apache.jetspeed.services.autodeployment.password = j2deployer

As for the ${CATALINA_HOME} in the examples, that is mean't to be interpreted as wherever you have installed Tomcat, sorry for the confusion.

François Jan wrote:

I am new to Jetspeed-2 and I try to get it running for a few days now...
I run  jdk 1.5.0 RC,  tomcat 5.5.1, the included database HSQLDB on
linux 2.6.8.1 with ant 1.5 and maven 1.0. I checked out jetspeed-2 CVS
yesterday.

I first ran into the error where ${CATALINA_HOME} in build.properties is
not interpreted by maven (I finally found the problem, thus the solution
on the mailing list archives). I suggest the web site be changed since
http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/getting-started.html shows as an
example something that does not work : org.apache.jetspeed.server.home=
${CATALINA_HOME}/

Then, the compilation went OK but now, I get an empty /jetspeed/ page
and quite a few errors in the jetspeed log file where the first of them
is 2004-09-10 21:31:30,108 [ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine
[Catalina]]] INFO
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory -
Bean 'persistenceStoreTarget' instantiated via constructor [public
org.apache.jetspeed.components.persistence.store.ojb.pb.PBStore
(java.lang.String)]
2004-09-10 21:31:30,436 [ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine
[Catalina]]] FATAL
org.apache.jetspeed.prefs.impl.PreferencesProviderImpl - Failed to
initialize prefs api. org.apache.ojb.broker.PersistenceBrokerException:
Used ConnectionManager instance could not obtain a connection
org.apache.ojb.broker.PersistenceBrokerException: Used ConnectionManager
instance could not obtain a connection
at
org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.StatementManager.getPreparedStatement
(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.JdbcAccessImpl.executeQuery
(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.RsQueryObject.performQuery
(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.RsIterator.<init>(Unknown
Source)
at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.RsIteratorFactoryImpl.createRsIterator
(Unknown Source)
at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.PersistenceBrokerImpl.getRsIteratorFromQuery
(Unknown Source)
at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.PersistenceBrokerImpl.getIteratorFromQuery
(Unknown Source)
at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.PersistenceBrokerImpl.getObjectByQuery
(Unknown Source)
at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.DelegatingPersistenceBroker.getObjectByQuery
(Unknown Source)
at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.DelegatingPersistenceBroker.getObjectByQuery
(Unknown Source)
at
org.apache.jetspeed.components.persistence.store.ojb.pb.PBStore.getObjectByQuery(PBStore.java:239)
(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at
org.springframework.aop.framework.AopProxyUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopProxyUtils.java:59)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke
(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:138)
at $Proxy2.getObjectByQuery(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.jetspeed.prefs.impl.PreferencesImpl.getNode
(PreferencesImpl.java:229)
at org.apache.jetspeed.prefs.impl.PreferencesImpl.createPrefNode
(PreferencesImpl.java:165)
at
org.apache.jetspeed.prefs.impl.PreferencesImpl.<init>(PreferencesImpl.java:114)
at org.apache.jetspeed.prefs.impl.PreferencesProviderImpl.start
(PreferencesProviderImpl.java:107)
(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

I saw something about this error but it was on jdk1.4 and the solution
is not applicable.

François

--
"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."
 - Admiral Hyman Rickover

*           Scott T. Weaver               *
*         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>             *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>        *
*   Apache Jetspeed Enterprise Portal     *
*     Apache Pluto Portlet Container      *
* OpenEditPro, Website Content Management *
*     <http://www.openeditpro.com>        *