I do something similar.  In
WEB-INF/templates/vm/layouts/html/default.vm, the very first line is:

#if ($data.user.userName == 'anon')
 $data.response.sendRedirect($config.getString("nologin.cookie.url"))
#end

The other option (probably better) is to edit the PSML of the anon user
to have no portlets.  Of course, then you're limited in terms of what
you have there, since the header and footer are common to all users.
(But, you could wrap if statements similar to what I have above to only
show some content to the anon user.)

Dan