I'd think bypassing the cache would be a bad thing in the future.  You
might want to look at the 'refresh' method on the PSMLManager service
interface:

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-1/apidocs/org/apache/jetspeed/services/psmlmanager/PsmlManagerService.html#refresh(org.apache.jetspeed.om.profile.ProfileLocator)

I'd dig into that class to gain a better understanding of how caching
of psml documents actually happens.  What you're experiencing implies
that it happens on a user by user basis, which does not make a whole
lot of sense to me, at least for group and role based psml documents.

Dan