I found the source for the error in LateInitCastorRegistryService.java
code under jakarta-jetspeed/src/org/apache/jetspeed/services/registry
directory. In the init method, a classCastException is thrown at the
getConfiguration().getInt("refreshRate") which in turn is rethrown as
an InitializationException with the message "missing config keys". I
am overriding the property value for refreshRate in "my.properties". I
verified to see if there is any extra space after the value but could
not find any. Not sure why commons getConfiguration.getInt() is
throwing a classCastException on this.

The code snippet is as follows

        int refreshRate = 0;

        // read the configuration keys
        try
        {
            directory = getConfiguration().getString("directory");
            mapFile = getConfiguration().getString("mapping", DEFAULT_MAPPING);
            extension = getConfiguration().getString("extension",
DEFAULT_EXTENSION);
             refreshRate = getConfiguration().getInt("refreshRate",
DEFAULT_REFRESH);
            mapFile = TurbineServlet.getRealPath(mapFile);
            directory = TurbineServlet.getRealPath(directory);
        }
        catch (Throwable t)
        {
            throw new InitializationException("Unable to initialize
LateInitCastorRegistryService, missing config keys");
        }

I tried using getConfiguration().getString("refreshRate") and parsing
the trimmed string value to set the integer value for refresh rate.
The initialization was successful in that case.

Thanks,
Hema