Marina,

Yes, many on the dev team have J2 in production or in prototypes. Comments
below.

>What I meant was:
>I see there is some relationship between directory
>names under the WEB-INF/pages directory and user
>like:
>WEB-INF/pages/_role
>    manager/
>    user/
>WEB-INF/pages/_user
>    user/
>
>So, for me to create a new user, should I use the same
>naming convention?
>For example, to add a new user "scott" with the role
>"admin"
>should I create corresponding directories
>WEB-INF/pages/_role/admin
>WEB-INF/pages/_user/scott

In general, yes. However, the directories that are used are determined by
the profiling rules. Here, the _user directory is aggregated by the "j1"
rule and the _role directory is aggregated by the "role-fallback" or
"role-group" rules. You have the right idea though.

>By the way, where is the login takes place?
>I tried login through the "Login" portlet - but it did
>not change content of the portal window accordingly (I
>logged in as 'user')

To login as scott, you must add logins, passwords, profiling rules for the
Jetspeed user principal. There are admin portlets to do some of this, (login
as admin/admin). Many of us simply extend the
populate-userinfo-for-default-psml.sql script to add new users. Look at the
definitions in there for principals, security, and profiling rules.

>Another question:
>How do you add new users programmatically? Do I have
>to create those new directories every time I add a new
>user? What if I want users to be able to register
>themselves, how would all this directory/files setup
>work? Or do I have to write my own code to insert new
>users into the DB (by the way, I'm assuming that's
>what the populate-userinfo-for-default-psml.sql does,
>is it?) ?

Like I said, there are admin portlets to do some of the work. There are
plans in the immediate future to make these portlets more powerful that will
fill in the gaps betwwen the existing capabilites and editing
opulate-userinfo-for-default-psml.sql. So, all you will need to do is allow
the "guest" user access to pages that contain these portlets or to the
existing admin pages. You should not have to write any code unless you are
interfacing to another system and need external
authentication/authorization/single-signon.

>Sorry, I do feel somewhat confused here.
>Did anybody succeed in setting up the user management
>in J2? It's hard to believe I'm the first one
>struggling with this :)

Well, you are probably one of the first non-dev-team people to attempt it!
Not to worry, it is complex but does work... :). Keep the questions coming:
it gives us all a chance to spread the word and see where we need to
improve!

Thanks for hanging in there!

Randy