ingo schuster wrote:

> Sorry,
> I mixed up two different things: The EcsServletElement uses the
> RequestDispatcher - that's absolutely safe.
> I thought it'd open an URL connection (as it the DiskCach does) and this
> would result in looping from the servlet container, through the web
> server back to the servlet container - that's bad as you can deadlock
> the system with this setup. We ran into this problem: A portlet used a
> servlet as a connector to it's data. For demonstration purposes we tried
> to run this connector servlet on the same machine... So don't use the
> DiskCache to access servlets on the same machine.

Please Ingo, tell me more about this. I am working on DiskCache v2, and
I want to know all potential problems that can arise.

If the call is done through the DiskCache, and the response is worked
through a servlet container thread, I cannot see where the problem can
be, except if it is deep down in the java protocol handler or you
exahust worker threads in the servlet container.

I know there are some issues with InetAddress name resolution, specially
in older versions of the jdk, that can deadlock the involved threads.
But I have not seen these issues happen in jdk1.3 (only in 1.2.2 and
1.1.x green threads, where it really stinks)