In a message dated 8/28/03 9:37:59 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

But it's really up to the customer.  In spite of the
tradition being for the mezinke, we've done it also for the parents
of the mezinik (a boy who is the youngest to be married off in the
family.)  It's the celebration of "putr vern" ( being freed of the
responsibility) for marrying off your children.

EXACTY! Well put :-) I wrote similarly to Dena offline, but you said it best.

adrianne

Adrianne Greenbaum
Associate Professor of Flute, Mount Holyoke College
Klezmer flutist: “FleytMuzik” and “Family Portrait”
Classical: "Sounds of America"
fluteworld or cdbaby