In a message dated 8/30/03 6:26:39 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

But it makes a huge difference to what Brandwein
did in that one case, rather pushing the air than changing the note.

Wait wait. Are you saying that you think Brandwein was doing a breath vibrato? It's both distinct and used only on that note when clearly there are other notes available lengthwise that one can use breath vibrato. Maybe I'm reading this backwards from what you're saying.
Let's keep going on this :-)

I rather think of any kind of finger vibrato as using an old technique rather than developing a new. It was around for a very long time, be it microtonal as in for messe de voce or more noticable as in vibrati.  Not all that sure that various treatises were actually making that difference in explanation anyway; have to read more...

Adrianne

Adrianne Greenbaum
Associate Professor of Flute, Mount Holyoke College
Klezmer flutist: “FleytMuzik” and “Family Portrait”
Classical: "Sounds of America"
fluteworld or cdbaby