This concerns the Polish messianic site mentioned by Dick, but only by subject: that is, playing for messianic "Jews" (or not playing for them).

Maxwell Street has been booked by messianic Jews twice in 20 years.  Of course, the fact was well-hidden by the clients.  In one case (a bar mitzvah), we didn't know until we got the check from the client with a New Testament message on it, and at the other one (a wedding), we didn't know till we started shmoozing with a guest on break.  At the wedding, we simply stopped playing Jewish music and switched to American standards for the balance of the contract.

Since it is not our choice to contribute our spirit to proselytizers for Christianity, we have since then put a clause in our contract that we don't play for messianic affairs, and if we figure out we've been booked for one, the contract is void and we get to keep the deposit.  But it's only happened twice, so it's probably an unnecessary precaution.

Interestingly enough, the enthusiasm of the crowd at the wedding was almost frothingly ecstatic when it came to the horas, entertaining the bride and groom, and other traditional dances.

Lori @ MAX