that's useful . Thanks Freda.
Judy
----- Original Message -----
From: "Freda B Birnbaum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Freda B Birnbaum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 1:21 PM
Subject: Re: Searching the Archives -- another method

> On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Ari Davidow wrote, re an earlier statement:
>
> > At this time, search of the archives is broken. Shamash has promised to
> > fix it "soon" as of a few months ago.
> >
> > When it is repaired, you will be able to search the Jewish-music
> > archives from http://www.ivritype.com/resources/jlists.html#jewish-music
>

> > Joel Bresler notes that at least some of the archives are indexed in
> > Google. I would therefore suggest trying the following:
> >
> > At the Google search box, enter
> >
> >       [jewish-music] shamash
> >
> > followed by the term(s) you want to search, as in
> >
> >       [jewish-music] shamash flute vibrato
> >
> > It will lead to some list results, and some other results, all of which
> > may be useful. (I believe that there are ways to specify date ranges in
> > Google, as well.)
>

> I just tested out the method I use to search other Shamash lists to which
> I'm subscribed, and it seems to be working.  It's email-based rather than
> Web-based.
>
> You send commands to [EMAIL PROTECTED] requesting a listing of the
> archive files so you know what their names are (and the names indicate the
> dates), and commands requesting the information you want.  It appears to
> NOT be case-sensitive, although I suspect that if a term spread over 2
> lines in the file it might not be picked up.  When you get return mail
> from Shamash, you then know what files to request.  Be aware that some of
> the files are large and may be sent to you in several parts.  You will
> have to use an editor to search for the material you want.
>
> For example, I just tried this:
>
> I sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED] the commands
>
> index jewish-music -all
> search jewish-music -all "Carlebach"
> search jewish-music -all "birnbaum"
> search jewish-music -all "Birnbaum"
>
> and I received a (LARGE!) message with all the file names of the archives,
> as well as messages about which files had matches for my search terms, and
> using that was able to send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] requesting
> the file I wanted:
>
> get jewish-music 030814
>

> Note that the file names reflect the dates the files were created, e.g.
>
> jewish-music 981018  and so forth.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Freda Birnbaum, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> "Call on God, but row away from the rocks"

Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network  http://shamash.org
A service of Hebrew College, which offers online courses and an
online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/

* * FREE JEWISH LEARNING * *
Shamash invites you to join MyJewishLearning.com, a comprehensive,
objective, authoritative and interactive learning resource in all areas
of Judaism.  Free membership via http://www.myjewishlearning.com/shamash