Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

> hi
>
> Running JFS over a RAID-5 with 15 drives + 1 spare on Linux 2.4.19-pre10-ac3
> without any further patches, I get these strange hangs where the server just
> hangs. This happens sometimes, and I really don't know when. I was streaming
> a file (size ~4 gigs) at a speed of 4,3Mbps from it yesterday, and when then
> it suddenly hung. Below is how it looked.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?

If you can send us a back trace for this hang, we should be able to take
a look to see what is hanging here. There are few ways you can get a back
trace.

1) use the magic key sequence (try this first)
2) patch your kernel to add Linux kernel debugger through gdb (kgdb)
3) patch your kernel to add Linux kernel debugger (kdb)

Here are the instructions for using magic key sequence.

If your keyboard is still functioning and you have a hang on Linux, use the
following method to help resolve the source of the hang. You can display a
back trace of the current running process and all processes using the magic
key sequence listed below.

1.    The kernel that you are running must be built with
CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSREQ enabled. You must also be in text-mode. CLTR+ALT+F1
should get you into text mode CLTR+ALT+F7 will get you back to X-Windows.

2.    While in text-mode, press <ALT+ScrollLock> followed by
<Ctrl+ScrollLock>. The magic keystrokes will give a stack trace of the
currently running processes and all processes, respectively.

3.    Look in your /var/log/messages. If you have everything set up
correctly, the system should have converted the symbolic kernel addresses
for you. The back trace will be written to the /var/log/messages file.

4. send us the back trace part of /var/log/messages

>  jumbo         Streamer
> (with          multicasting
>  1,6TB         data read
>  disk)         from NFS
>  +-------+     +-------+
>  |       |     |       |
>  |       |     |       |
>  |       |     |       |
>  |       |     |       |
>  |       |     |       |
>  |       |     |       |

> roy
> --
> Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Datavaktmester
>
> Computers are like air conditioners.
> They stop working when you open Windows.

Thanks,
Steve