Hi,

I have been doing some performance testing for an
application.  The test involves loading about 500K
records into a database from a text file .  The read
to write ratio is 1:4 (using iostat).  The read is
being done from a partition on an IDE disk whereas the
write is happeing on a ultra wide SCSI disk.

I have noticed that for a this test compared to ext2
or ext3, when using jfs swapping occurs continously
(as reported by vmstat column si, so and the noise
from the disk :-) ).  In the test the only difference
is the filesystem. When using ext2 or 3 swapping
rarely occurs.

I must admit that this one single test cannot be used
as a basis for compaing the two different filesystems.
 Plus probably there is not enough emperical
information in this email.  However this loading
process is very important for our application and with
JFS it is slower as compared to ext3 in ordered mode.

A benchmark paper (using iozone) seems to suggest JFS
out performing ext3 in sequential writes.

Any clues on what could be going wrong on my test
system will be much appreciated? BTW the version of
jfs is 1.0.14 and kernel version is 2.4.18.

Thx

-Wajih