I just read this post as I'm looking for a way to resize my JFS filesystem (root
filesystem in a Slackware box). I have a dual boot win98/linux box and my HD has 20GB,
being 16 for Win and 4 for linux. I realized 4GB is not enough for linux, so I decided
to shrink my windows partition by 1 or 2GB, and increase my linux partition using the
free space. It's said in the post that resizing JFS would be available at the end of
May. Does anybody knows if it is  possible by now? What about the "mount resize
option"? If I use it with no args, will it be resized to all the space left on my HD?
BTW, how should I use it? Is it enough just adding it in the /etc/fstab ? Any
suggestions?

Thanks in advance - (and sorry for 2 many questions...),

Felipe.

On Wednesday 15 May 2002 09:28, Joachim Selinger wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm using JFS as my main filesystem now for a long time now and am
> very happy with it. As I'm about to install a newer system using LVM
> it would be crucial for me to have the capability to resize the
> overlying filesystem. AFAIK, this is not yet possible with JFS.
>
> 1. When do you think can I expect to have a resize utility available?

I think it will be working by the end of this this month.

> 2. Can you guarantee that if I use and format an LVM partition with
> JFS right now using 1.0.16 that I will be able to use the upcoming
> resize functionality without loosing data (i.e. having to
> reformat)?

Yes, we won't require any format changes for resize to work.

> I would be very happy, if you could give me an answer to those two
> questions.
>
> Thanks
> Jocki
>
> PS: I haven't been very happy with reiserfs (a poweroutage once
> killed my data) and ext2/3 doesn't behave nicely with many files in
> directories and XFS is a pain to get into the kernel still, so I'm
> essentially happy with JFS.

I can't speak for the other file systems, but I'm glad you're happy with
JFS.

Thanks for the endorsement,
Shaggy

--