Hi!

I've been using JFS version 1.1.1 for a long time  with an updated
SuSE 8.1 kernel 2.4.19-329 and just had a bad loss of newly created
files.

I used gimp (1.2) a little too much and it created a swapfile in the
JFS filesystem with up to 2GB, then it hung and could not continue. I
shut down all programs, as the machine under X was not usable
anymore, but did not reboot, but just restarted my X session and
everything seemed fine. Alas, I didn't realized one day later that it
wasn't. When I tried a plain 'sync' to flush all buffers to disk, that
command hung. I could neither kill it nor have it finish.

I then tried to unmount the JFS, but that responded with 'busy' as the
'sync' commands ( I tried syncing a couple of times) where still
accessing the disk, I presume. Then I used 'umount -l' on the mount
and that at least showed the disk unmounted.

Then I tried to reboot but that didn't work either. I guess it hung when
syncing the filesystems, i.e. my JFS that was stuck. So a hard
reboot (via kernel Sysrq) was necessary. I'm sitting on top of a IBM
ServeRAID controller with hw-raid level 1 with 2 disks for / and hw-raid
level 1 with 2 disks for /home, the latter in a logical volume.

After the reboot everything seemed fine, except for the following,
which is the main reason for my mail.

After the reboot I realized that many files that I created within the
last several hours have been lost, i.e. are there but show size 0,
even though the fsck after reboot and another manual one afterwards
didn't report any problems.

Luckily, I didn't lose any important data files, but just ones that
could be recreated.

Now I am very worried about this happening again. Is there a known
issue with creating large files, as I presume that was the reason for
the errors in the end?

Can I do anything to help track down the problem, to avoid the
problem?

Thanks for anything!
Jocki

My Setup is:

JFS Version 1.1.1 as coming with SuSE 2.4.19 form July 11, 2003 and
jfs-utils compiled from sources.

/dev/sda5 on / type jfs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
/dev/sda2 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
shmfs on /dev/shm type shm (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/Raid1/Home on /home type jfs (rw)
automount(pid4058) on /a type autofs
(rw,fd=5,pgrp=4058,minproto=2,maxproto=3)

/dev/sda5             17272628  14155008   3117620  82% /
/dev/sda2               100711     14448     81063  16% /boot
shmfs                   257208         0    257208   0% /dev/shm
/dev/Raid1/Home       10452468   3226460   7226008  31% /home

Disk /dev/sda: 254 heads, 63 sectors, 2240 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16002 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1             1        64    512032+   c  Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sda2            65        77    104013   83  Linux
/dev/sda4            78      2240  17306163    5  Extended
/dev/sda5            78      2240  17306131+  83  Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 254 heads, 63 sectors, 2231 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16002 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1             1      2231  17850199+  8e  Linux LVM

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IBM      Model: SERVERAID        Rev: 1.00
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IBM      Model: SERVERAID        Rev: 1.00
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 15 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IBM      Model: SERVERAID        Rev: 1.00
  Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02