I'm resending this since I didn't see it appear on the jfs-discussion
list.  Did you receive the original reply, Domenico?

-----Forwarded Message-----
From: Dave Kleikamp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Domenico Di Tullio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: JFS Discussion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Jfs-discussion] (no subject)
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:06:53 -0600

On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 08:49, Domenico Di Tullio wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would to know for the jfs file system the follows characteristics :

> - max total number of files;
This is limited by the 32-bit inode number, so just under 4G.

> -max total number of directories;
again just under 4G.  files + directories < 4G.

> -max number of files per directories;
just under 4G.  I think it might be 4G-3, but I'm not exactly sure.

> -max file size;
2^52, or 4 Petabytes.  blocksize = 4K, and jfs used 40 bits to store the
block number.  This also limits the file system size on 64-bit systems.

> -max number of simultaneously opened files.
jfs has no limit.  I'm not sure what limits this in the vfs.
--
David Kleikamp
IBM Linux Technology Center