The "forwarded message" box (ctrl+f) is for you to type in your text. You
can scroll down a screen or two, and you'll hear "dashdashdash" or
something like that, and that's where the sent message begins.  You can
then continue reading the original sent message in the normal way.
Regarding attachments, it's necessary to enter on the main message (or get
out of the list view) to get the attachment(s) to a message if there are
any.  I've been using "reply to" (ctrl+r) to reply to your original.