Ranchi, January 18, 2008 First Published: 01:55 IST(18/1/2008) Jharkhand for young blood to fight Naxals
Balding, pot-bellied hawaldars are out. Jharkhand police want young blood in the force to counter Naxalite terror in the state. A notification on reducing the upper age limit from 35 years to 27 for sub-inspector vacancies has been issued by the Jharkhand government. This is for the general category, but the reserved candidates will not be let off. For them, the upper age limit has been brought down from 38 to 29 years. The lower age limit is 19 for all. Earlier, it was 21 years. Neyaz Ahmed, the Additional Director General of Police, headquarters, said the age limit slash was the need of the hour. "We need young blood to take on the Naxalites in the state. Recruitment would begin soon as the government has given its responsibility to the state police," he said. But G.S. Rath, the Additional Director General of Police, Special Branch, said: "The age limit for the recruitment in the police force should be decreased more for much better results." "Even as we recruit personnel in the police at the maximum age of 27 and 29, the Naxalites remain in an advantageous position as they recruit and train even 14-year-olds," Rath said, though he agreed that the age limit reduction was better than nothing. The state government would fill up 250 vacancies for sub-inspector posts that have been lying vacant since 1994. Ahmed said work was also on to raise two battalions of India Reserve Battalion in Jharkhand. According to the home ministry's regulations, the upper age limit for recruitment of personnel in this force is 27 years. The lower age limit is 19. A total of 1,600 seats of the constabulary have to be filled in the two companies of the reserve battalion. "We have so far received around 75,000 applications from across the state," Ahmed added. Hoping the increase in the number of younger personnel would increase the "strength and energy" in the police force, Ahmed said: "Decrease in the age limit for the recruitment of the state's constabulary is also under consideration." * hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/Print.aspx?Id=39c167b3-6095-43b0-bc4a-c4f4e353b6ff * -- Jharkhand News [EMAIL PROTECTED] Jharkhand Online Network http://www.jharkhand.org.in [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

