Hi Marko,
thanks for your fast answer.

The SOAP envelope is dealth with from Spring-WS, and I successfully added
the xsi and xsd namespaces using Axiom inside an Interceptor.

The XML payload is mashalled from JiBX and then put inside the SOAP body. (I
guess)
JiBX does know nothing about soap elements.

If I set the binding like so:
<binding xmlns:ns1="http://www.opentravel.org/OTA/2003/05"; name="org"
package="org.ota.synxis.hotel" trim-whitespace="true">
  <namespace uri="http://www.opentravel.org/OTA/2003/05";
default="elements"/>
  <namespace prefix="xsi" uri="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"; />
  <namespace prefix="xsd" uri="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"; />
  <mapping class="org.ota.synxis.hotel.HotelResNotifRS"
name="OTA_HotelResNotifRS">
 </mapping>
</binding>

I get the desired SOAP envelope (shown in my former post), but the payload
has missing namespaces
      <OTA_HotelResNotifRS xmlns="http://www.opentravel.org/OTA/2003/05";>
         <Errors>
            <Error Type="1">Found 1 valid reservations with CRS Confirmation
Number=52690IC0000172, there should be none.</Error>
         </Errors>
      </OTA_HotelResNotifRS>

I cannot use the ns attribute inside <mapping>, because I would like to add
2 namespaces (plus the default one), whereas it allows only one.
-----------------------
name="OTA_HotelResNotifRS" ns="http://www.opentravel.org/OTA/2003/05";>
                <namespace uri="http://www.opentravel.org/OTA/2003/05";
default="elements"/>
                <namespace prefix="xsi"
uri="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"; />
                <namespace prefix="xsd" uri="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
/>

and leave them as before in <binding>, nothing changes.
 -------------------------
If I remove the default="elements",
        <mapping class="org.ota.synxis.hotel.HotelResNotifRS"
name="OTA_HotelResNotifRS"
        ns="http://www.opentravel.org/OTA/2003/05";>
                <namespace prefix=""
uri="http://www.opentravel.org/OTA/2003/05"; />