On 02/05/2014 12:09 PM, Jonathan Gibbons wrote:
I am beginning to consider how to rewrite (micro)resolution in javac in
the light of the recent discussions regarding readability, visibility, etc.

I know that we have determined that the JDK module graph is acyclic.   I
think we decided that all module graphs should be acyclic, right?

I guess I'm wondering what the text in the JLS might be like in this
area.  i.e. "it is a compile-time error if ...."

It's worth pointing out that this should be refined to say "all module graphs *of modules being compiled* are acyclic", or possibly "all module graphs are acyclic *at compile time*" as experience shows that it is quite common to have cycles at run time for various reasons.

--
- DML