On 9/9/2014 1:47 AM, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
I think the KISS-rule is a good guiding principle, and I think Johns
proposal mostly follow that. The only thing I'd like to suggest instead
is that we drop the "cpu." prefix. Sure, in theory we might get confused
when someone releases the "x86 OS" or the "macosx CPU" :-) but in
reality, there is no problem in telling the difference between windows
and sparc.

On reflection, I think this is right. For non-shared code, either we should aim for a beautiful sort order by prefixing everything - CPU/ISA-specific code in 'cpu.$X' and OS-specific code in 'os.$Y' and CPU+OS-specific code in 'cpu.$X.os.$Y' - or we should not bother to prefix anything and that would be fine.

Alex