Thanks Mandy, replies inline...

----- Original message -----

> On 3/21/2015 5:12 AM, Peter Firmstone wrote:
> > Just wondering, with the removal of the extensions directory, what's
> > the correct way of specifying a policy provider?
> >
> > We currently have a number of nested policy providers that are loaded
> > by the extension classloader.
>
> Do you set the custom policy provider by setting -Dpolicy.provider
> system property?

Yes, and also defining the extension dirs property.

Our providers pre date the SPI mechanism; they have additional methods for
dynamic permission grants, so can't use the spi unfortunately.

> One suggested way is to put the providers on -classpath and loaded
> by the application class loader.

I haven't tried it yet; our providers were written by Sun, the same people that
worked on the JVM.  I suspect the reason for using the extension classloader
was to avoid circular execution paths that cause stack overflow errors.

I'll give the application classloader a shot and get back to you.

P.S. Our providers don't use CodeSource.implies, we have other mechanisms that
use RFC3986 compliant URI; so we already have compatibility with the new jrt
URL scheme.

The new jrt scheme will also benefit our software by removing local file paths
from class resolution.