On 10/13/2015 03:50 PM, Keimpe Bronkhorst wrote:
I have a custom JavaFileManager used for JSR199 compilations, but when I use the -release option I see:

Error: -release option specified, but the provided JavaFileManager is not a StandardJavaFileManager..

This basically forces everybody to implement StandardJavaFileManagers, even if they don't want that. Isn't there a way to make this work with JavaFileManagers?

Keimpe Bronkhorst
JDeveloper

cc: compiler-...@openjdk.java.net
bcc: jigsaw-dev@openjdk.java.net

Keimpe,

This is not a Jigsaw issue. This would be better addressed on compiler-...@openjdk.java.net.

-release works in a fairly general way by checking that -source, -target, -bootclasspath+friends, are not set, and then providing values for them. This implies that -release will internally call fileManager.setLocationFromPaths(PLATFORM_CLASS_PATH, <<path>>) which requires that the file manager should be a StandardJavaFileManager.

We can investigate whether it might be possible to generalize this.

-- Jon