Based on today's discussions, I've been thinking if there is any merit in
dumping the notion of Module Version altogether? I am beginning to think
it's completely irrelevant to the Module System.

Versions are important during builds and for interacting with artifact
repositories, but once artifacts are resolved and installed into the JDK as
modules, versioning has no more utility. You don't even need Versions to
link modules together. The only thing that is actually needed is the Module
Name.

It looks like to me versions are metadata that belong outside the JDK and
classfile format. I think a whole host of problems go away when the Version
goes away. The JDK isn't an artifact manager so it doesn't need versions.

What do you think?