On 02/05/2016 13:51, Rafael Winterhalter wrote:
:

I am aware that the idea of project Jigsaw is encapsulation but for
scenarios like the above, it is often required to break module bondaries.
In general, I think that project Jigsaw solved this problem elegantly but
changing this single method's contract broke all 26 projects that I looked
into before giving this feedback. Note that I only changed runtime as this
contract change also affects "old" code running on a Java 9 VM as the JVM
classes are now contained in runtime modules where

This is #ClassFilesAsResources [1], or more generally #ResourceEncapsulation [2], on the JSR issues list. In due course then I'm sure Mark will bring a proposal to the jpms-spec-experts list on these issues. We don't want to make any changes to the API or implementation in this area before then.

-Alan.

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jigsaw/spec/issues/#ClassFilesAsResources [2] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jigsaw/spec/issues/#ResourceEncapsulation