> I'm not sure that I get the question. I think you might be asking about
> classes loaded into modules that are in Layers but I don't know if the
> context is java.lang.instrument or JVM TI.

Sorry, I could have been more specific, and I might have misunderstood
what you were saying.
I was referring to your: "So what you are seeing is specific to the
boot Layer and no specific short term plans to change this."

Am I understanding it correctly, that only the boot layer has the
limitation that packages cannot be split between multiple modules?

If that is the case, what if in another layer, comprised of a single
classloader, I have a package split between multiple modules, how will
the current Instrumentation implementation work, since as you mention,
it maps loader+package to Module, which in that case won't be a 1-to-1
mapping (as implemented in JVM_GetModuleByPackageName from
JDK-8147465)

> If this is JVM TI then the CFLH doesn't have the Module, we're still mulling
> over whether to expose a JVM TI function (see JDK-8155207). We have the
> underlying support in place, it's just not exposed in JVM TI.

Yeah, that would be greatly appreciated -- at the moment I'm calling
JVM_GetModuleByPackageName in my CFLH function, but would prefer a
more supported way.

/Michael