Hi Alan,

Look here:

import javax.xml.bind.DatatypeConverter;

public class Test {
  public static void main(String... args) throws Exception {
    DatatypeConverter.parseBoolean("true");
  }
}

$ javac Test.java
Test.java:1: error: package javax.xml.bind does not exist
import javax.xml.bind.DatatypeConverter;
                     ^
Test.java:5: error: cannot find symbol
    DatatypeConverter.parseBoolean("true");
    ^
  symbol:   variable DatatypeConverter
  location: class Test
2 errors

$ javac -source 8 -target 8 Test.java
warning: [options] bootstrap class path not set in conjunction with -source 1.8
1 warning

Of course it also passes with -release 8, but thats very clear, because it uses
ct.sym of older version.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
uschind...@apache.org
ASF Member, Apache Lucene PMC / Committer
Bremen, Germany
http://lucene.apache.org/