I reviewed http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jlaskey/8159206/webrev

Looks much cleaner.  Thanks for the update

 342     StringSharingPlugin(String[] patterns) throws IOException {
 343         this(ResourceFilter.includeFilter(Arrays.asList(patterns)));
 344     }

Looks like it’s not used except the no-arg constructor.  Perhaps just drop this
constructor and change the implementation of the no-arg constructor.

  44     private static final String[] PATTERNS = {"*.diz”};

I think this should be fixed too. The jdk build no longer packages *.diz files
in the jdk packaged modules.  We should create a test to include *.diz files to
verify —-strip-native-debug and —-strip-debug plugins.  It’s okay to file a JBS
issue to add that test.

I’m fine to separate the help message update from this patch.  It looks like it
may need some iteration.  This patch is looking good that you should push soon.

About the help message, you have this section in jlink/jimage/jmod:

For options requiring a <pattern>, the argument value will be a comma
separated list of elements each using one the following forms:
  <pattern> - a pattern string using the glob pattern syntax
  glob:<pattern> - a pattern string using the glob pattern syntax
  regex:<pattern> - a pattern string using the regex pattern syntax
  @<filename> - the name of a file containing patterns to be use, one pattern
per line

1. It does not apply to jmod —-hash-modules <pattern> which is a regex.
2. It belongs to jlink —-list-plugins output but not jlink —-help.

I have the impression that @<filename> is an undocumented option for the build
to use.  Is it intended to document it?

For jimage —help
  --dir                             Target directory for extract directive
  —-filter                          Filter [syntax:]<pattern> entries for list
or extract

This should be
  —dir <outdir>                      Target directory for extract directive
  —-filter <pattern>                 Filter [syntax:]<pattern> entries for list
or extract

Mandy