On 11/16/2016 02:08 PM, Stephan Herrmann wrote:
On 11/16/2016 10:02 PM, Alex Buckley wrote:
- If you lex 'package', then the sequence must parse as the first alternative. - If you don't lex 'package', but rather lex 'import', then parsing is ambiguous until you've looked ahead to lex either 'open', 'module', or a keyword that can start TypeDeclaration. [Ignoring annotations for simplicity.] - If you lexed 'open' or module', then the sequence must parse as the second alternative; if you lexed anything else, then the
sequence must parse as the first alternative.

I just tried this:

---8<---
import open.module;

module foo {
}
---8<---

According to lang-vm this should be legal. The import statement
contains restricted keywords in positions where they cannot be keywords.
=> Parsing should succeed.
javac rejects this, which supports your explanation that lexical lookahead
should suffice to recognize a ModuleDeclaration.

Which one will it be?

Stephan

I suspect you're not using the latest javac. Your example works for me, after I also create a class called open.module that I can import.

$ more $(find play/stephan/ -name \*.java)
::::::::::::::
play/stephan/open/module.java
::::::::::::::
package open;

public class module { }

play/stephan/module-info.java

import open.module;

module foo {
}
$ /opt/jdk/jake/bin/javac -sourcepath play/stephan play/stephan/module-info.java
$

-- Jon