On 1/25/17 12:20 AM, Nicolai Parlog wrote:

  Hi Jonathan,

thanks for considering this.

If nothing else, it would require all the module-specific output
directories to be created ahead of time, so that javac can
determine which ones to use
Why would that be the case? It is not necessary to create them now so
why would using asterisk change that?

OK, I missed that you were not suggesting to adopt all of the functionality
of module source path, including the ability to specify a path of output
locations, so that module classes could be written into a directory that is
more closely associated with the source code.

It has always been the case that a single compilation for
different packages from different libraries would result in the
classes being placed in a single output directory hierarchy, and
that the classes could then be selectively packaged into different
files like .jar files.
It has also always been the case that the compiler had no notion of
projects/artifacts/modules but just of plain source files. ;) That
changed, too, so why not do the same for class files?

If you're compiling modules together, why could you not do
something similar?
I have no particular use case (except writing some demos) but I would
guess that it would make it more comfortable for existing tools to
move towards multi-module compilation.
I don't see any reason why the current design would make it harder
for tools to move towards multi-module compilation.

I also like this idea for its symmetry. You can define input the
compilers input, sorted by modules, with *, so why not do the same for
its output? Conceptually that should be obvious (which does not mean
that there are not plenty if reasons against it).

There is a much stronger, more compelling relationship in play.
The current -d option is designed so that you can put the output
directory on the class path or module path as appropriate.  That's
always been the case for the classpath -- even though source
may come from a variety of directory hierarchies, the compiled
classes are put into a simple directory hierarchy that can be put
on the classpath. Now, with modules, that continues to be the case:
you can put the -d output directory on the runtime module path,
either as a single "exploded module" or as a directory of "exploded
modules". That is a compelling argument in favor of the current
design of the javac output directory.

In contrast, I don't see any compelling advantage to allowing
    -d "./*/target/classes"
since that would make it significantly harder to place such a
directory on the runtime module path.

-- Jon

  so long ... Nicolai