> On Apr 6, 2017, at 1:09 AM, Magnus Ihse Bursie
> <magnus.ihse.bur...@oracle.com> wrote:
>

> Having though this over real hard, I'd realized I need to make a plea for
> sanity and consistency. I thought I should lay low in this discussion, but I
> can't. Choosing "amd64" as the name for the 64-bit x86 platform is really,
> really unfortunate and a step backwards in our effort to standardize the name
> of this platform.

I think it may be useful to see the value of `os.arch` system property on all
platforms
at a glance.

                32-bit  64-bit

linux           i386    amd64
                arm     aarch64
solaris                 amd64
                        sparcv9
windows         x86     amd64
macos                   x86_64

It's late in JDK 9.  The best is to revisit OS and architecture names in JDK 10
on the
consistency and simplicity issue.  In the context of JDK-8175819, these are
names to
pass to jmod —-os-name —-os-arch options.  The values are used at resolution
time
to avoid linking modules for different target platforms into the same image.

As Mark suggests, we use the value of `os.arch` system property for JMOD file
in
JDK 9 and we can change the value in JDK 10.  No change to system property and
bundle names, as we said previously.

We should revisit OS and architecture names in JDK 10.  I have updated
JDK-8178016 to reflect that.  Are you okay with that?

Below shows the old and new values in the `release` file and the new values
are used in JMOD files.

          JDK 8               JDK 9
          -----               -----
OS_NAME   Linux               linux