On 16 May 2017 at 16:52, Reto Merz <reto.m...@abacus.ch> wrote:
> They need weeks to plan and test an upcoming server-side
> software update before they can install it on the production system.
> Java 9 will be released on 2017/07/27, so we are under high business pressur.

Assuming Java 9 follows a similar path at Java 8, it will be around 6
months after release, before Java 9 is the default download on
java.com, and another 6 months before the auto-updater will update JRE
installations from java 8 to java 9.
Yes, for those users who actively seek out java 9 on day one, there
can be issues, but for the average consumer, there is a 6-12 month
period from release before Java 9 will be on their computers.

Yes, we still have to go through all the work of migrating to Java 9,
but should the above hold true for Java 9, we do at least have a bit
of breathing room, before it is actively being pushed to users.

/Michael