On 17 May 2017, at 20:50, Alan Bateman <alan.bate...@oracle.com> wrote:

> On 17/05/2017 18:26, Eric Johnson wrote:
>
>> :
>> Here's a challenge back to the Jigsaw team. Can I still do java -jar ...
>> every existing Java application (without recompile!) that currently
>> launches that way? I'm even willing to cut some slack and ignore
>> applications that use com.sun APIs that have been "private" for years. Will
>> that still work? The Jigsaw community should be able to provide evidence
>> that's still possible, not that we should be required to provide evidence
>> that it isn't.
> FWIW, the JDK has never been able to guarantee this at major releases. A
> typical JDK major release will have ~20000 changes that translate into a lot
> of code so there is a lot of potential for breakage or subtle behavior or
> performance changes. Even mundane things like rev'ing the class file version
> at every major release can be disruptive. Nothing to do with Project Jigsaw
> but there are many one-off changes in JDK 9 that will make it more disruptive
> than previous releases, e.g. moving to G1 as the default collector, switching
> to use CDLR locale data by default, the new version-string scheme, changes to
> the layout of the run-time image, .... it's a long list that will eventually
> show up as extensive release and compatibility notes.

And of course the intersection of these issues makes things even more
complicated.  At this point I would settle for being able to add a command-line
flag to get our app to run, but despite testing EA builds for over a year and
assiduously flagging issues as we came across them it’s still not possible for
us (intersection of CLDR change and Webstart)

Low-energy rant ends here in resignation,
Robert