On 18/05/2017 16:47, Andrew Guibert wrote:

:

A concrete use case for an `Add-Reads` manifest attr is beside the point. Since we have the command line option, why can't we have the equivalent functionality as a manifest attribute (especially since it seems trivial to implement)? As long as use cases exist for `--add-reads`, use cases will exist for the manifest attribute. If no use cases exist for the `--add-reads` command line option, can it be removed entirely?

`--add-reads` is important on the command line, esp. for testing when a module is patched at compile-time and run-time to includes tests in the same module as the module under test.

An equivalent Add-Reads in the manifest that updates an explicit module to read all unnamed modules is less clear and it would be useful to have an example or two. You are right that it would be trivial to add but that isn't a good reason to add it.

Also, I don't want to forget about the discussion for `Add-Modules`. I understand that it may pose a significant technical challenge, but for code launched via `java -jar` which depends on `java.se.ee` specific modules it is a must for compatibility.

It has come up a few times.

-Alan