Our project has around 45 jar libraries and we currently using split-packages as simplest modularization concept. It's a desktop project with different kind of controls - all have in common that they are located in the same package e.g. 'com.swing'. So users can add only required libraries to their project. However, in Jigsaw the split-package concept is not supported - so we have to completely rework our package structure. This means:

- the new package structure will become more complicated because we have to add new packages
- our API isn't backward compatible
- our users have to rework their applications
- our users have to learn the new API (package structure)

So how likely is it that split packages will be supported in the near future?

- Wolfgang