On 29/11/2017 09:33, Greg Wilkins wrote:
:

So perhaps it would be a good idea for the library to provide some
semantics to assist frameworks to get this right?  Ideally there would be
an API to allow frameworks to query the JVM about what classes (which may
not be loaded and may even be for a different target platform) it can see
that are annotated in a particular way.

This was listed in the JSR 376 requirements document [1] but it didn't happen in Java SE 9. There were suggestions at the time to generate an index at packaging time. There were also suggestions (and some initial prototyping with a jlink plugin) to index at link time. I don't think the efforts got as far as thinking about an API.

So yes, it is an area where there is interest but I'm not aware of anyone working on it just now. If you or others have cycles to create a library and explore the area then it could be useful.

-Alan

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jigsaw/spec/reqs/#efficient-annotation-detection